Selecting Tuning & Maintenance allows you to buy tuning parts and custom parts. You can also perform maintenance on your car.
The Tuning & Maintenance option allows you to access five shops, which provide the following services:
- Tuning Parts
- Buy tuning parts here to improve your car's specs. Parts are divided into categories. Fit the parts you've bought and adjust their settings by selecting Garage -> Car Settings.
- Custom Parts
- Personalize your cars with custom external parts and wheels.
- Pit Service
- This is where you can check your car's cleanliness and body condition, wash it, change the oil, repair its body, improve body rigidity, and perform maintenance on your car's body and engine.
- Racing Gear
- Purchase racing helmets and racing suits with various designs. You can also purchase special outfits (a racing helmet and racing suit set) as worn by famous drivers. To change into racing gear you have purchased, head to the Racing Gear section of the Garage.
- Paint your car's body and wheels. Acquire a new paint color by purchasing a car of that color at a Dealership.
Damage, Dirt and Deterioration
The distance you have driven in a car is displayed on the odometer. Driving over long distances causes engine condition, oil condition and body rigidity to gradually deteriorate. This is known as "deterioration". Your car's body will also get dirty, and may suffer dents or scratches as a result of collisions or crashes. This is known as "damage". If your car has suffered damage or if its condition has started to deteriorate, please visit the Pit Service in order to repair your car.
Deterioration and damage are dealt with in the following ways, depending on the race mode:
- Career Mode
- Deterioration and damage incurred while racing remains once a race is complete. If you cancel a race before it is finished, your car's condition will deteriorate, but damage will be reset.
- Free Run
- Your car will incur deterioration and damage while driving, but as soon as you quit the Free Run, the damage will be reset.
- Arcade Mode
- Your car will incur deterioration and damage while racing, but both deterioration and damage are reset as soon as you select "Quit" from the Race Menu.
- © 2013 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Manufacturers, cars, names, brands and associated imagery featured in this game in some cases include trademarks and/or copyrighted materials of their respective owners. All rights reserved. Any depiction or recreation of real world locations, entities, businesses, or organizations is not intended to be or imply any sponsorship or endorsement of this game by such party or parties.